MCTs (Medium-chain triglycerides) play a vital role in our health because they are the building blocks of fat. Triglycerides, phospholipids, and cholesteryl esters are the three main esters groups. After being broken down into fatty acids, fats are absorbed into the bloodstream during digestion. Their esterification and storage are carried out in fat cells. An albumin transport protein such as albumin constantly binds with FFA in the blood. In addition to providing energy, fatty acids are important structural components of cells.
Long-chain fatty acids, which have 13–21 carbon atoms, make up the majority of fat in our diet. The number of carbon atoms in a short-chain fatty acid is less than six. Medium Chain Triglycerides (Mct) include fatty acids with 6–12 carbon atoms in length.
MCTs may play a positive role:
- Weight loss via decreasing calorie intake and fat storage and boosting satiety, calorie-burning, and ketone levels on low-carb diets. The weight loss effects of a high-MCT diet are, on the whole, limited.
- Reduce insulin resistance, which in turn lowers blood sugar levels. However, further studies are needed to verify this benefit.
- Patients with a certain type of Alzheimer's disease genetic makeup can improve their cognitive function. It's time for more investigation. For those following a ketogenic diet (carbohydrate intake less than 50g/day), MCTs produce ketones, which serve as an alternative energy source and boost brain function.
- The use of MCTs in treating or preventing brain illnesses, including Alzheimer's disease and dementia, has become more popular in recent years. As a result, the brain becomes less efficient at using sugar as a source of energy. In an MCT ketogenic diet, ketone bodies are used as an alternate energy source. This may improve the survival of brain cells. A receptor in the brain that is linked to memory loss is also blocked by it.
- It has been found to help children with autism.
- Diarrhea, steatorrhea, and liver illness can benefit from MCT supplementation.
- Patients who have undergone bowel or stomach surgery may potentially benefit from this treatment.