Sildenafil is common in the treatment of ED. It can also treat conditions such as pulmonary hypertension — a type of high blood pressure in the lungs.
The pills come in doses of 25 mg, 50 mg, or 100 mg.
Some advantages of taking sildenafil for ED include:
- Fast-acting: It starts working around 30 minutes after taking the pill.
- Research: Clinical trials and studies confirm its effectiveness.
- Lasting effects: The effects can last for up to 4 hours.
- Side effects: Serious side effects are rare, though they can include allergic reactions and heart problems.
Some disadvantages include:
Unsuitable for some health conditions: According to an older review from 2012, it may not suit individuals with some chronic conditions, such as multiple sclerosis.
Drug interactions: It can interact with other drugs, including some heart disease and blood pressure medications.
Preference: People seem to prefer an alternative drug — tadalafil— though the two drugs are equally effective, according to 2017 research.
There are also some possible side effects of sildenafil, including:
- a stuffy or runny nose
- hot flashes
- a fever
- chest pains
- painful erections lasting several hours
- vision problems